Saturday, February 18, 2012

Apple Pie

I hate it when I answer the phone and there is bad news on the other end. On Friday afternoon as I was explaining the logistics of a contempt proceeding to a new attorney, my dad called to let me know my grandma had had a mild stroke and was at the hospital. She had just gotten out of the hospital the week before, and now she was back. I clearly didn't want to share this information with someone who was essentially a stranger, so I tried to compose myself as we finished up our discussion. When I left work at 5:30, I stopped at Harris Teeter for a card and flowers, and then headed to the hospital. I spent a couple of hours with her, trying to keep her spirits up. It left me feeling tired and low, so I can only imagine the emotions running through my grandma's mind. As always, one of her biggest concerns was making sure that my grandpa would be okay without her, so I promised to stop by with an apple pie.

When I got there on Saturday afternoon, he was in fairly good spirits given the circumstances. In front of him were two piles of mail - opened and unopened - with which he had little idea of how to handle, as this is a job usually administered to by my grandma. She called a few minutes later, sounding just as down and out. When I handed Grandpa the phone, he said, "Hello, Darling" and proceeded to tell her that it would all be okay and they would "do it together." Grandpa has always made it clear how much he loves my Grandma, but I don't often get to hear their words to each other first hand. Despite my sadness when I think of their declining health, I know that they are blessed to have had each other to lean on over their 70+ years of marriage. May we all be so lucky.

Apple Pie
Kelley Gondring

Preheat oven 350ยบ

In a large bowl, combine:
6-7 small apples, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Let sit for 10 minutes.

Prepare 2 pie crusts.

Place one rolled out pie crust in pie pan. Poke holes in bottom and sides of the crust using a fork. Pour applies into the crust. Sprinkle over top of the applies:
1-2 tablespoons butter

Cover with the second rolled out pie crust. Press edges together and cut off excess dough. Crimp edges. With a sharp knife, cut air vents. Bake for 50 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare an egg wash:

In a small bowl, combine:
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons water


Using basting brush, spread a thin layer of egg wash over the top of the crust. Place back in oven and cook 5 minutes more.

Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment