Sunday, March 4, 2012

Paneer

Before Jason and I went to India, I thought nothing of Paneer. I knew it was cheese and that my friend, Liz, ordered and raved about it whenever we ate Indian food in Chapel Hill, but other than that I didn't really know anything about it. I certainly wouldn't have thought to make it myself. But being the nerd that I am, I found that making this was awesome because of the chemical process that causes the curds to separate from the milk liquids. Its like watching magic unfold right before your eyes!

Paneer
taken from Anjum's New Indian by Anjum Anand

In a large pot, bring to a simmer:
2 quarts whole milk

Stir in:
2 tablespoons lemon juice
The curds should immediately begin to separate from the liquid. Stir for another minute and remove from the heat. Pour thorough a fine sieve. Using the back of a wooden spoon, push out as much liquid from the curds as possible. Let sit for ten minutes so that the liquids continues to drain. Use the back of the wooden spoon to give it one final push.

Remove from the bowl and use your hands to form a block. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel. Place several heavy books on top of the towel and let sit for 40 minutes.
Remove the books and unwrap the towel. Using a sharp butcher knife, cut the cheese into bite-sized cubes.
Use immediately or store in tupperware container with water.

Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment