Friday, March 2, 2012

Make Your Own Mayo!

Can't make it to the gym and don't have free weights at home? Just make mayo!

I never would have thought to make my own mayonnaise, but then I started prepping for our weekly "Game Night" get-together. I opened our Hellman's mayo jar only to find remnants. Well crap, I thought, it was already 10:30 p.m. Normally, this is when I ask Jason to make a trip to the grocery store. But he expressed his ever-so-slight displeasure the last time I made this late night request, so I opened up my trustee Joy of Cooking (again) and made my own.

Making your own mayo is not difficult; but it does take time and tricep stamina. If you make this without an electric mixer and don't wake up with a sore stirring arm, I want to know about it so that I can enviously applaud you!

Mayonnaise
taken from The Joy of Cooking

In a medium bowl, place:
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of white pepper

Using a fork, thoroughly mix together.

Very, VERY slowly, whisk in:
1 cup veggie oil
For the first 1/3 cup of oil, whisk in a couple of drops of oil at a time. This is done slowly so that the eggs absorb the mayonnaise as opposed to remaining separated.

I am including these two photos of the oil to show you how much oil I added over the course of whisking for the first five minutes or so.














After the first third is added, you may start to add the oil a bit more quickly, remembering to continually whisk. Take a break. Let your tricep recover. Switch whisking hands if needed. Continue adding the oil until all of it is incorporated. At this point, the mayo will be thick and light.

Mix in:
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper
dash of cayenne pepper


Enjoy your freshly-made mayo in salad dressings, spread on sandwiches, or added to jalapeno pimento cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment