Monday, March 26, 2012

Front Porch Flowers



For the second Monday evening in a row, I've come home to flowers on my front porch. There's no note attached; no message of explanation in my voicemail. She doesn't take credit for them at all, but I know they're from my next door neighbor, Ann. They aren't there because we've done anything to deserve them. They aren't there because she wants anything from us. They are just there because Ann is a kind person.

I must admit that at the end of a taxing day, my job leaves me feeling drained. Between unaddressed mental health diseases, alcohol, crack, and heroin addictions, gang violence, and the overarching poverty that touches all of these issues, it is easy to lose sight of the fact that most people are redeemable.

Coming home to unearned flowers is a wonderful reminder that kindness is out there -- sometimes only as far away as your neighbor's front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment