Sunday, February 10, 2013

Chicken Divine


I grew up eating this casserole, which I knew simply as "Chicken Broccoli Casserole" on Christmas Eve. That was back when my Grandma Gondring still hosted Christmas Eve dinner. I hadn't had it in ages until my friend, Ashley, showed up with her version of the casserole to help us out when we had Audrey. Her rendition included rice, which I really love because it eliminates the need to make a side. Inspired by her dish, I went through all the recipes cards my Grandma gave me several months ago and found her recipe. Turns out I have been calling it the wrong thing all these years! [I love that is is called Chicken Devine because it dates the recipe perfectly.]

So here is my recipe for Chicken Divine - inspired by both my grandmother and my friend. I had a great time making it the last time Ashley came to visit us and really appreciate all of her help and companionship!


Chicken Divine
adapted from Grandma Gondring's kitchen and inspired by Ashley Kernodle's recipe

Preheat oven 350ยบ

In a large, shallow casserole dish*, place:
3 cups cooked white rice [I used Jasmine rice]

Cover with:
1 large bunch of broccoli, cooked al dente + cut into bite-sized pieces
2 large chicken breasts, cooked + coarsely shredded


In a medium bowl, combine:
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of broccoli soup

Pour over chicken and broccoli.

In a small bowl, combine:
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Sprinkle over sauce.

Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges of the casserole are bubbling.

*I chose to divide this casserole into 8 individual portions so that I could freeze them, simplifying dinner with a newborn.

Eat up!


No comments:

Post a Comment