Monday, November 12, 2012

Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping


On Friday morning, we had a mandatory meeting at work. I am lucky in that meetings at work are not particularly common; however, because I had Friday off, I wasn't super interested in seeing the inside of my building! I probably could have just skipped it and waited to be filled in until Tuesday, but I figured attending was the good employee thing to do.

I also figured that a mandatory Friday morning meeting could only be made better if it included a delicious snack! So I decided to make a coffee cake and bring it into the office. The irony is that I ended up waking up earlier than usual to get to work at the same time I normally do on my day off! Oh well...I think cake for breakfast is its own reward.


Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
adapted from The Joy of Cooking

Preheat oven 350°

Coffee Cake
In an electric mixing bowl, beat together on medium for 2-3 minutes:
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar

Scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Beat in:
2 eggs

In a small bowl, combine:
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract


In a medium bowl, combine:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt


Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the electric mixing bowl and beat on medium until just combined. Add 1/2 of the sour cream mixture and beat on medium for 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Repeat, ending with the flour mixture.

Pour into a greased 12x8" glass pan. Set aside and prepare the streusel topping.

Streusel Topping
In a food processor, add:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Pulse together to form crumbly mixture.

Sprinkle evenly over the coffee cake batter.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Remove from oven. Let cool 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares and plating. Serve warm.

Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment