Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fresh Guacamole


When I went to the grocery store yesterday, I wasn't sure I'd be able to find ripe avocados. Like pears, they tend to be hard as rocks upon purchase and it isn't until a few days later that they're ready for consumption. The first place I went yielded such a result, but stop number two was the jackpot! I picked out six perfect feeling specimens and crossed my fingers that when I cut into them there wouldn't be brown streaks running through them. But as luck would have it, they were quite literally perfect.

Tips for great guacamole:

First, never try to make do with rocklike avocados. It just isn't worth your bother.

Second, the easiest way to remove the seed from an avocado is to cut the avocado is half lengthwise, but slightly off center. When you pull it apart, the seed should stay on the half that is slightly smaller. Use a butcher knife to chop down on the center of the seed. The knife will stick in the seed. Gently and at an angle, use the knife to pull out the seed.

Third, adding lime juice to guacamole prevents the avocados from immediately turning brown.

Fresh Guacamole
Kelley Gondring

In a medium bowl, mash with a fork:
4 medium avocados


Mix in:
1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
2 large jalapeños, deseeded and diced
2/3 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
salt + pepper to taste
[I used about 1 teaspoon of each]

Serve with corn tortillas.

Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment