Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sweet, Green + Blue Turkey Burgers

Yesterday was one of those days where it reached four o'clock in the afternoon and I wasn't exactly sure what I'd done with my day. Jason came home from working his one Saturday a month and casually asked me what I'd been up to since he left. My response?

Things. A little of this; a little of that. I swiffered the kitchen floor. The rest of the house? Well, no, I didn't get to all those other rooms. The dog and I played in the backyard. A walk? She needs that every day!? I ordered a case for my Mac. No...haven't run yet. But really, I've been busy all day. I promise.

Thankfully, David called right in the middle of the conversation recapping my non-doing of things to see if I was ready for our run.

See, Jason, I was just waiting on David to get back from Wilkesboro so we could run. I'm not a slacker.

Much more inspired to be productive after our beautiful run around Ardmore and The West End, I drove to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for dinner. We were going to our first cookout of the year, and it was the perfect weather for it. Shelley + Justin hosted the event, and I brought turkey burgers inspired by a weeknight salad Jason and I eat quite often. All the food was delicious -- the company wasn't too shabby, either.

Sweet, Green + Blue Turkey Burgers
Kelley Gondring

In a medium bowl, combine:
1 pound ground turkey
1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
[can substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs or skip them altogether if necessary]
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Use your hands to mix the ingredients together.

Once combined, add:
1/4 heaping cup craisins, coarsely chopped
1/4 heaping cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup cooked chopped spinach, thoroughly drained and firmly packed
1/3 cup soft blue cheese*

Evenly incorporate the dried fruit, spinach, and cheese. Form 3-4 patties, depending on what size you'd like your burgers. They should be about an inch thick. Let sit 10-15 minutes before grilling.

Grill on medium-high for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook time will depend on the heat of your grill; the internal temperature of the burgers should be 165 when they're done.

*I used Mirablue, a soft sheep's milk cheese with Roquefort, which I found at Whole Foods.

In a small plastic bag, combine:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice


Add:
1 small Pink Lady Apple, thinly sliced
Close the bag, pushing all the air out, and let sit for 10-15 minutes.

To serve:
Toast two pieces of bread per burger. Drizzle a little olive oil over the toast. Top the burger with sliced apples.

Eat up!



No comments:

Post a Comment