Friday, January 20, 2012

Sweet + Savory Rice Salad




Last weekend my friends, David + Traci, invited me over for dinner at their place. When I asked what I could bring, David told me "salad." I had literally just returned from Harris Teeter and really didn't want to get back in my car to pick up lettuce, so I texted him and asked if I could make a non-green salad. Thankfully, he agreed, so I headed to my pantry to see what, if anything, I could pull together. No potatoes, so potato salad was out. I had pasta, but nothing to mix with it. My eyes landed on the jasmine rice on the bottom shelf and the dried fruit just above it. I wasn't sure if it would work, but after a little experimentation, this sweet and savory rice salad was born. It is definitely sweet, so I would recommend pairing it with a sweet and savory meat dish such as lamb stew.




Sweet + Savory Rice Salad
Kelley Gondring

In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil:
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk


Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add:
1 cup white rice
2/3 cup dried fruit, coarsely chopped
[I used 4 apricots plus cherries + cranberries]
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt


Cook rice about 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.

Before serving, add:
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts + sliced almonds

Garnish with additional dried fruit and toasted nuts.

Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment